Category Archives: Entertainment

Old Lagoon Attractions Hidden In Plain Sight, Part II

As new attractions are added, sometimes old ones have to go, but they don’t always disappear completely. Here’s a few elements of past rides and attractions that have remained at Lagoon.

Click here for Part I of the article that covers the Fun House, Pioneer Village Railroad & more…

LAKE PARK DANCING PAVILION, 1886

Rose Terrace in 2005. Photo: B. Miskin

Lagoon has dozens of picnic terraces in the northeast portion of the park. The smallest one, the Rose Terrace, sits east of The Bat. It was actually part of a much bigger structure and dates back to the park’s beginnings on the shore of the Great Salt Lake.

Lake Park’s Dancing Pavilion is the tall, open air structure on the left. It was later relocated to Lagoon. Photo courtesy of Deseret News

When Simon Bamberger moved most of the buildings from Lake Park inland and renamed the resort Lagoon, the Dancing Pavilion was taken apart and rebuilt at the new park. Later on, the building was modified to become the Lake Park Terrace with the cupola being turned into its own separate structure. The Lake Park Terrace was demolished after the end of the 2004 season to make room for The Bat, making the Rose Terrace the last surviving piece of the Lake Park resort.

Read more about Lagoon’s Picnic Terraces…

LAGOON OPERA HOUSE, 1968-1989

Nestled in a corner of the Midway, south of Jet Star 2, is a town square that looks like it came from Victorian-era New England. The biggest draw now is the shaded eating areas and fast food restaurants. Fifty years ago it was much more than that.

Opera House Square in 2018. Photo: B. Miskin

Once called the jewel of summer theater on the Wasatch Front, the 300-seat theater and surrounding square was built using as many authentic furnishings as possible. Year after year, successful shows were put on by Robert Hyde Wilson and actors from the University of Utah. Opera House Square also featured the full service Gaslight Restaurant, Ice Cream Parlor, General Store, Popcorn Wagon and ragtime piano player performing in the square between shows.

Interior of the Lagoon Opera House.

In 1980, Lagoon switched from the free admission, pay-per-ride policy to a pay-one-price admission fee, which included unlimited rides, but not shows at the Opera House. Later on, Lagoon leased the Opera House out to other theater companies. In 1989, despite several seasons of critically-acclaimed productions, attendance dropped so much that the show ended two weeks early. It hasn’t reopened since.

Even without the original amenities, the square still provides a quiet, relaxing oasis amidst the modern thrill rides. Subway opened in 1997 with Arby’s arriving in 2001. The theater is still used for entertainment rehearsals and recently, the exterior has undergone repairs to keep it looking fresh.

Read more about Opera House Square…

ROLL-O-PLANE, 1947-2002

Sit & Smoke Station, south of the Touchdown game, September 2019. Photo: B. Miskin

When the Davis County Board Of Health banned smoking in public and private outdoor spaces in 2008, they allowed smoking in areas designated by property owners. Lagoon created eight smoking areas around the park, each with sheltered benches.

One of these sits in the middle of a small lawn next to the Touchdown game on the South Midway. This marks the former location of the Roll-O-Plane, not far from its cousin, the Rock-O-Plane.

Roll-O-Plane in 1991. Photo courtesy of Lagoon

The Roll-O-Plane that stood here was actually the last of three different Roll-O-Plane rides at Lagoon. The first was installed in 1947, but after being damaged in the 1953 fire, a new one was purchased in 1954. An updated model replaced that one in 1972 and it operated on this spot for about 30 years before metal fatigue led to the ride’s removal.

Read more about Roll-O-Plane…

LAGOON LAKE ATTRACTIONS, 1896-1991

Sunset on Lagoon Lake, 2018. Photo: B. Miskin

Reportedly originating as a pond for harvesting ice, Simon Bamberger purchased the acre of land the pond was on and developed it into Lagoon. In the beginning, activities on Lagoon Lake included boating and even swimming for a short time until a portion was sectioned off and made into a pool.

Water Skeeters, 1991
Water Skeeters in their final season. Photo courtesy of Lagoon

Over the years, other water attractions were added such as a fleet of small motorboats and a miniature steamboat. The Water Skeeters – human-powered paddle boats – were the last of the attractions to let guests venture out onto the lake. They closed in 1991.

Row boating on Lagoon Lake, 1953. Photo courtesy of Deseret News

In the early ’90s, Lagoon had some grand plans for the lake that were revealed in the Deseret News. The idea was to build a boardwalk around the edge and place a tall masted ship in the middle for diving shows. Unfortunately, nothing ever came of the plans. Turn Of The Century swings out over the lake the same way the Rockets did before it and a train has circled the lake since 1947.

Read more about the Water Skeeters…

STAGECOACH, 1976-2009

Stagecoach and skeleton horses in the Pioneer Village Scare Zone, 2017. Photo: B. Miskin

The Stagecoach was one of the first rides in Pioneer Village when it opened at Lagoon in 1976. With a loading area south of the Pony express Museum (where Swig is now), guests took a ride behind the Telephone Museum and over Farmington Creek to the open land east of the village. After Rattlesnake Rapids opened, the path was altered.

A view of the east side of Pioneer Village and the Pioneer Pavilion in 1980. From a film by Joseph L. Hatch
Stagecoach in the '90s.
Stagecoach in the 1990s. Photo: Lagoon

The Stagecoach was operated by the Thurston Family who owned the Clydesdale horses. When patriarch Dale Thurston retired, his children took over for a season or two before closing the ride in 2009.

The wagon sat by the old stable for many years before being moved behind the Train Museum. During Frightmares it has been used to decorate different walk-throughs in Pioneer Village.

Read more about the Stagecoach…

LAGOON MUSIC THEATRE, 1982-2008

Front of the Biergarten along what was the back of the Lagoon Music Theatre. Photo: B. Miskin

The Biergarten recently opened in an area bordered by Cliffhanger, The Spider and Roller Coaster. Much of this area was where Speedway, Sr. was located from 1960 to 2000. The Lagoon Music Theatre was built between Speedway, Sr. and Roller Coaster in 1982.

The entrance to Lagoon Music Theatre in 1992. Photo: Lagoon

Many park guests remember relaxing in the shady amphitheater for nightly performances of song and dance. But it closed in 2008 and remained closed until construction began on the Biergarten in 2018. Most of the east planter and part of the short wall along the back of the theater were saved and incorporated into the design of the small German village.

Read more about the Lagoon Music Theatre

LAGOON MINIATURE RAILROAD, 1976-1986

Engine No. 999 on display in Pioneer Village. Photo: B. Miskin

In the Model Train Museum there’s a small train encased in glass. Unlike the toy trains surrounding it, this was once part of a train ride that operated in different parts of Lagoon starting around the 1920s. After two or three decades, the engine and tender were put on display next to Lagoon Lake. When Opera House Square opened, the display moved over there, which is where a miniature train enthusiast saw it and connected Lagoon to someone who could get it running again. The train was brought back to life again in time to become a part of Pioneer Village in 1976. The loading platform was just south of the Bonanza Shooting Gallery and west of the Log Flume.

Lagoon Miniature R.R. in 1977. Photo courtesy of Deseret News

This train ride closed again in the 1980s in preparation for the construction of Lagoon-A-Beach, but never re-opened. The little locomotive was a unique piece of equipment (which was likely custom-made), and it was probably getting difficult to maintain by that time.

“The Olde Engine House” used to stand at the loading area for the Lagoon Miniature R.R. Photo: B. Miskin

Some stretches of track were still visible for at least a decade after it closed, but all of the track has been removed now. The structure from the loading platform was moved east near the Log Flume exit and now covers a group of vending machines. The engine and tender were repainted and put back on display at the Model Train Museum in 2002.

DODGEM & AUTO SKOOTER, 1925-1976

The former Dodgem building in 2019. Photo: B. Miskin

The Scamper bumper cars have only been around since 1977, but the building it occupies has been home to a bumper car ride since the 1940s or earlier. The existing building could’ve replaced an older one that originated with the Dodgem that opened in 1925.

Dodgem building visible beyond the damaged Roller Coaster station after the 1953 fire. Photo courtesy of Deseret News

The building currently houses Scamper and Carousel Candy It can be seen in the photo above, which was taken the day after a large fire destroyed much of the park in 1953. Dodgem continued to operate there until 1965. A newer bumper car ride – the Auto Skooter – opened the following year. Around the early 1980s, this and other buildings along the central Midway got a new Victorian-style facade.

Read more about Dodgem and Auto Skooter

MOTHER GOOSELAND, 1956-1984

The Old Woman’s Shoe in 2012. Photo: B. Miskin

Not far from the Carousel, near the Baby Boats, sits a giant shoe that’s been turned into a house. It represents the old nursery rhyme about the old woman who lived in a shoe. Many people will easily make the connection and some will remember being able to go inside when they were kids. This was just one of several small attractions based on nursery rhymes that were originally part of Mother Gooseland when it opened in 1956. There was also Jack & Jill’s Hill, Peter Peter’s Pumpkin Shell, Humpty Dumpty on his wall and others.

The Old Woman’s Shoe as it appeared sometime around 1956-60. Photo: Janice Staker Brown

Over the years, pieces of Mother Gooseland were removed, but the shoe has remained for over 60 years. The doors were locked some time around the early 1980s, but it still adds character to Kiddie Land, as the area has been named since 1985.

Read more about Mother Gooseland…

LINKS

Picnic Terraces

Roll-O-Plane

Stagecoach

Lagoon Music Theatre

Dodgem

Auto Skooter

Mother Gooseland

Old Lagoon Attractions Hidden In Plain Sight, Part I

Live At Lagoon, 1956!

Out of the hundreds of concerts at Lagoon’s Patio Gardens, some might assume there are many recordings of those concerts available. But in reality, they are extremely rare. For a long time, I thought Stan Kenton’s 1962 concert was the only one. But I was pleasantly surprised recently when a visitor to the website left a comment about a live recording of Woody Herman from 1956.

This CD features the concerts from the 27th and 28th of July, 1956. It was the second of three visits Woody Herman made to Lagoon over the years. The recording apparently originated as a live broadcast by the old Utah radio station, KYBL. It begins with an announcer stating his location at “New Lagoon” – which is how the park was marketed for a few years after being rebuilt from the large fire of 1953.

Woody Herman had a few different bands that played with him during his long career. After his first band was nicknamed “Herman’s Herd”, the usage continued with the Second Herd and Third Herd. The latter group recorded music and toured together from 1950 to 1956.

A notable member of the Third Herd is piano player Vince Guaraldi who later became a well-known jazz artist on his own. Now his name is almost synonymous with Charlie Brown television specials.

1956 newspaper ad

Without today’s sophisticated soundboard technology, the piano wasn’t picked up very well on microphones, but Guaraldi’s distinct piano work can still be clearly recognized, like in “Opus de Funk”.

These concerts have been made available by Storyville Records – a Danish record label that started out by reissuing US jazz albums for fans in northern Europe and has since accumulated and released a staggering amount of jazz performances that are often hard to find in America.

OWN THE ALBUM

LINKS

Live At Lagoon, 1962!

Own the Stan Kenton concert on CD

Patio Gardens

Alphabetical List Of Performers At Lagoon

Chronological List Of Performers At Lagoon

SOURCES

Bang, Derrick. Vince Guaraldi on LP and CD. FiveCentsPlease.org, accessed 13 Jun 2018.

About Storyville. StoryvilleRecords.com, accessed 13 Jun 2018.

Neilson, Craig. Comment on Chronological List Of Performers At Lagoon. 5 Apr 2018.

The Monkees At Lagoon

Fifty years ago this spring, Lagoon was the setting of a key moment in the history of The Monkees.

Although the band was created by Hollywood producers for a TV show beginning in 1966 and media critics nicknamed them the Pre-Fab Four, Davy Jones, Michael Nesmith, Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork quickly rose to fame as The Monkees. They sold millions of records while constantly struggling to prove they had become more than just actors, but a real, working band.

When their TV show was cancelled after two seasons in early 1968, The Monkees began filming scenes for a motion picture that followed the formula of pop art style films like The Beatles’ A Hard Day’s Night while still having enough of their own elements to make it unique. As the director, Bob Rafelson put it:

It’s different from the Beatles’ movies. It’s intense and severe, and it exposes much of what all rock groups went through but nobody had the guts to tell. In the movie we saw The Monkees as victims. The energy had run its course with their old audience. We tried to reconfigure them for the more mature audience who had previously rejected them.

The film pioneered some new special effect techniques like polarization and included appearances by Annette Funicello, Toni Basil, Frank Zappa¹ and other stars.

The final scene in the film was a live performance of a new song entitled Circle Sky – a rock song written by guitarist Michael Nesmith. Plans were made to film the performance at their upcoming concert at Lagoon’s Patio Gardens (now the Game Time Arcade). The band arrived in Salt Lake City along with co-producers Bob Rafelson and then-unknown Jack Nicholson. Later that day, the group were guests at local radio station KCPX.

The next day, 17 May 1968, as technical preparations for the concert were underway, The Monkees rode various rides at Lagoon accompanied by an entourage of Salt Lake City policeman and hoards of fans.

The Monkees walking past Lagoon’s Carousel with their police escort. Footage by Henry Diltz

Fans ride Lagoon’s Roller Coaster with members of The Monkees. Footage by Henry Diltz

Fans were already lining up at the Patio Gardens when it was decided that the venue wouldn’t allow for optimal lighting for the film shoot and the concert was moved about ten miles south to the three-year-old Valley Music Hall (the large dome building visible from I-15 in Bountiful). The venue had a circular, revolving stage making for a memorable scene.

Scene from the Monkees’ film, ‘Head’ at Valley Music Hall in Bountiful.

The events of those two days were documented in 8mm film footage and photos by popular rock and roll photographer, Henry Diltz. Some of that footage can be seen in the video below, which is presented with audio of directions being given to the audience who would be a part of the scene. More footage of Lagoon is available on the Jimi Hendrix: The Guitar Hero DVD.

Because of the confusion from changing venues, The Monkees returned to Lagoon after filming at Valley Music Hall to perform a free, half-hour set to show their appreciation to the fans. It was estimated that about 5,000 people attended at each location.

No one anticipated that night that the performances in Bountiful and at Lagoon would be the last American performances with all four original band members before Peter, and later Michael, left the group over the next couple of years.

The title of the movie was changed from Untitled to Head and the band’s name wasn’t really used in marketing campaigns. The film and the soundtrack album largely failed to change perceptions of the band. Instead, many found it confusing and The Monkees were basically rejected by the audience they were abandoning as well as the ones they were hoping to win over.

Almost two decades later, there was an unexpected resurgence in Monkee-mania when cable networks MTV and Nickelodeon began airing the TV series again. This renewed interest in the band helped  make their albums top sellers again and a reunion tour was organized.²

As part of the tour, The Monkees returned to Lagoon, this time performing at Lagoon Stadium, on 29 August 1986 along with Gary Puckett, Herman’s Hermits and The GrassRoots. The band continued to record and release music and even the failed movie, Head, has earned a cult following.

LINKS

Patio Gardens

Monkees Live Almanac – lots of history about the band with several photos of their time in Utah

Own The Monkees’ film Head on DVD

Hear the live version of Circle Sky performed in Bountiful

Own the soundtrack on Vinyl, CD or MP3

Jimi Hendrix: The Guitar Hero DVD – featuring ten minutes of 8mm footage of The Monkees in Utah by Henry Diltz

NOTES

1. Frank Zappa performed at Lagoon just two weeks after The Monkees.

2. Because of other business obligations, Michael Nesmith was only able to join the other three at the Los Angeles concert.

SOURCES

Many Concerts In Salt Lake. Deseret News, 18 May 1968.

Utah-Made Movie Slated. Deseret News, Jan 1969.

Spangler, Jerry. Monkees a fad? Maybe, but not a passing one. Deseret News, Aug 1986.

Bronson, Harold. Hey, Hey, We’re The Monkees. General Publishing Group, 1996.

Head (Original Motion Picture Concert). MonkeesLiveAlmanac.com, accessed 28 Aug 2016.

20th Anniversary Reunion Tour. MonkeesLiveAlmanac.com, accessed 14 May 2018.

Live At Lagoon, 1962!

Painting of Lagoon's Patio Gardens by V. Douglas Snow, from Ford Times, August 1961.
Painting of Lagoon’s Patio Gardens by V. Douglas Snow, from Ford Times, August 1961.

Lagoon has hosted hundreds of performances by popular musicians and entertainers over the decades, peaking with the shows held at the Patio Gardens in the 1950s and ’60s. Those who experienced them in person usually have great memories from them and many of those who never got to the chance wish they could travel back in time. If only there were some recordings that could help us feel like we were there. Well, there is at least one concert recording from the Patio Gardens that has been floating around for some time now and is fairly easy to get a copy of.

From the newspaper ad announcing the concerts, 24 August 1962.
From the newspaper ad announcing the concerts on 24-25 August 1962.

On a couple of warm, late August nights in 1962, Stan Kenton and his 22-piece orchestra filled the open-air pavilion with smooth, polished jazz music. During at least one of the shows, somebody was smart enough to put the live sounds on tape.

A Night At The Old Nugget

Released by Status Records¹, which specializes in recordings of jazz concerts of the mid-20th century, this recording from Lagoon’s Patio Gardens is one of the many previously unreleased titles that the record label has made available on compact disc.

The instruments sound exceptionally clear and the chatting of musicians and Stan Kenton is audible between songs. The atmosphere conveys the intimate nature of the venue which many seem to recall. Fans of Stan Kenton and jazz music of that time period seem to agree that this particular mix of talented musicians were the best ever collected under Kenton’s leadership. But even if you’ve never listened to the genre, it’s worth giving this concert a listen to get an idea of what could be heard emanating from the northwest corner of Lagoon on summer nights about 50 years ago.

Cha Cha Sombrero

OWN THE ALBUM

You can own this piece of Lagoon history for yourself by clicking here and help support the Lagoon History Project in the process.

Stan Kenton - Mellophonium Moods

UPDATE: Thanks to a comment on another page of the website, another recording of a Lagoon concert is available – Woody Herman And His Orchestra 1956. Read more about it here…separatorLINKS

Patio Gardens

Alphabetical List Of Performers At Lagoon

Chronological List Of Performers At Lagoon

separatorNOTES

1. The story behind Status Records is a bit confusing and more than I care to dig into for the purpose of this article. But from what I’ve found online, there are two different companies that released music under the Status Records label. The first was based in Bergenfield, New Jersey. It was an imprint of the larger Prestige Records, which specialized in jazz music, and was basically formed to release budget-priced albums. The second Status Records, which is responsible for this Stan Kenton album, seems to have been a revitalization of the old Status Records, but this time based in the United Kingdom. They have reissued many of the older titles in the Prestige, New Jazz and earlier Status catalogs on CD as well as issuing previously unreleased recordings like this Lagoon concert.

separatorSOURCES

Lagoon newspaper ad. Deseret News, 24 Aug 1962.

Recordings. Charlie Mariano Tribute, accessed 3 Dec 2012.

Mellophonium Moods. Amazon.com, accessed 3 Dec 2012.

Labels: Status. RateYourMusic.com, accessed 8 Jan 2013.

separator

Racing At Lagoon

Competitive racing has been present in some form at Lagoon since it opened in its current location in 1896. Even earlier than that, Lake Park (Lagoon’s predecessor) held boat races on the Great Salt Lake.

In the early days, Lagoon served as a starting point and finishing line for many races on foot and bicycle. Horse racing was a big draw in Utah when Lagoon opened a new race track in 1911. But after only two years, the races were outlawed. It wasn’t until 1925 when horse racing was allowed again using the pari-mutuel betting. But even that only lasted until 1927.

Race Track 1914
Spectators on 11 October 1914 during a race between automobile driver Barney Oldfield and airplane pilot Lincoln Beachy. From the book A History Of Davis County.

Auto races then became the new thrill in racing and a variety of races were held at Lagoon. After the initial Davis County Fair took place at Lagoon in 1906, it eventually became an annual event from 1929 to 1942. During World War II, Lagoon closed indefinitely and the county fair moved to Kaysville.

In the early 1960s, Lagoon was thinking seriously about expanding and bringing in a wider variety of entertainment. One part of their long-term plans including stock car races on the old track. Even though their proposal was approved by the Farmington City Council, the backlash from local residents was enough to cause Lagoon to withdraw.

Demolition Derby in 1984. Photo courtesy of Lagoon
Demolition Derby in 1984. Photo courtesy of Lagoon

The Davis County Fair returned to Lagoon in 1966. Lagoon constructed new buildings to accommodate the fair and other events including the Davis Pavilion and Davis Stadium (later known as Lagoon Stadium). The stadium would become home to weekly rodeos and demolition derbies until the early ’80s. It was after the 1984 county fair that it relocated once more, allowing Lagoon to expand onto the land utilized by the fair. The Midway was extended northward in 1986 with Flying Carpet placed at the far end (where Samurai stands today).

A few concerts were held at the stadium in the late ’80s, but the venue was used less and less. The concrete grandstand still stood when Top Eliminator was installed on what used to be the race track’s home stretch. These controlled dragster rides were the first to let park guests compete against each other on such a large scale.

The grandstand was demolished around 1998 and Double Thunder Raceway, featuring two go-cart tracks, opened in its place in 2000. Top Eliminator closed for good in 2011 to make room for a record-breaking new roller coaster, Cannibal.

The tradition of racing at Lagoon still continues in 2015. The first foot race in decades, a half marathon/10k/5k was held on April 3rd with the final leg of the race winding around Lagoon’s rides.

separator

LINKS

Race Track – All about the race track and events held there

Lagoon & The Davis County Fair – The story of the fair at Lagoon

Top Eliminator – History of the ride

separator

SOURCES

Lagoon Speed Carnival newspaper ad. Deseret News, 3 Sep 1920.

Unknown Vandals Attempt To Wreck Big Racing Cars. Deseret News, 6 Sep 1920.

Blodgett, Gary. Auto Racing At Lagoon?. Deseret News, 1 Oct 1964.

Racing Opponents Prepare Petitions. Deseret News, 12 Oct 1964.

Blodgett, Gary. No Lagoon Racing. Deseret News, 13 Oct 1964.

Hess, Margaret Steed. My Farmington: A History Of Farmington, Utah: 1847-1976. Helen Mar Miller Camp, Farmington, Utah, 1976.

Westergren, Bruce N. Utah’s Gamble with Pari-mutuel Betting in the Early Twentieth Century. Utah Historical Quarterly 57, number 1, page 4. Winter 1989.

separator

© Braden Miskin

The Lagoon That Never Was: Lagoon IMAX

With a history going back over a hundred years, Lagoon has had plenty of attractions that have come and gone as well as a considerable amount of attractions that, for some reason or another, have never made it past the planning stages.  This is one in a series of posts about attractions that were officially announced, but never became a reality.

In the mid-1980s, Lagoon seemed to have very definite plans to open Utah’s first IMAX theater¹. The following excerpt is from a May 1984 Deseret News article which was probably one of the first reports to the public on what sounded like a sure thing.

Ground is expected to be broken later this month for a $2 million dollar project which will be Lagoon’s major new attraction for the 1985 season – Utah’s only IMAX theater, featuring a unique 70mm projection system which has a screen nearly seven stories high and more than 90 feet wide, coupled with a six-channel sound system for remarkable realism. Designed by a Canadian firm, the IMAX system has been utilized primarily at world’s fairs and similar expositions and at several amusement parks and museums.

The groundbreaking obviously never occurred and by about the same time a year later, here’s what the Deseret News was reporting:

Another major project which had been planned for this season, but which is now tentatively scheduled for construction later this fall for the 1986 season, is the construction of a big IMAX movie theater.

Nothing was ever mentioned about where the theater would have been located, but there must have been a spot set aside if construction was planned to begin so soon.

My guess is that it would have been somewhere near the stadium (where Top Eliminator and Double Thunder Raceway are today) based on the following factors.

  • The maintenance buildings and warehouses were completed near that area in 1985 to eliminate the need for several smaller spaces scattered around the property.
  • In 1986, the Midway was expanded on the north side into the area that had been reserved for rodeos, demolition derbies and the Davis County Fair². The fair’s agreement with Lagoon ended around that time and the concrete grandstand was being used less and less. In this location, the IMAX theater could have been used year-round due to its proximity to the parking lot.
  • The Sun ‘N’ Fun Theater was built in this area in 1988, possibly because plans for the IMAX theater had been scrapped. The area would have been a perfect entry way from the park.

1993 Aerial View

There could have been many reasons the theater was never built. One reason may have been that people generally don’t go to amusement parks to see movies. And only within the last ten years have first-run, feature-length movies been available in the giant format on a regular basis (like there are now at places like the Jordan Commons). I have to wonder what kind of films Lagoon would show. A popular trend in IMAX theaters in the ’80s was to feature specialized films about nearby tourist attractions. For example, the same newspaper articles quoted above speculated that a new Grand Canyon feature by Kieth Merrill (a native of Farmington, Utah) would have played there, but it was originally intended for a new theater built at the Grand Canyon. An IMAX theater built in West Yellowstone, Montana in the ’90s showed a special film about Yellowstone. Could it have been that Lagoon would have been involved in bringing about or at least showcasing some kind of movie about some local landmark? Or could it have had to do with the level of involvement between two different companies?

separator

NOTES

1. There was a growing emphasis on entertainment at Lagoon during the late ’80s and early ’90s. The slogan “A World of Entertainment” was used in advertising in 1985. In the ’90s, “The Entertainment Experience” was a slogan commonly used on souvenirs and publicity materials.

An IMAX screen about the same size Lagoon’s would have been was built in Spokane, Washington for Expo ’74, the same expo where Lagoon’s Jet Star 2 first opened. Watch the film that was shown and you may see why this would have made people sick after watching it on a 65-foot high screen.

2. Read more about the Davis County Fair at Lagoon.

separator

SOURCES

Lagoon now open on weekends. Deseret News, 10 May 1984.

Lagoon ready for 90th season. Deseret News, 12 Apr 1985.

Kieth Merrill. Wikipedia, accessed 27 Sep 2010.