{"id":3453,"date":"2014-06-26T18:30:18","date_gmt":"2014-06-27T00:30:18","guid":{"rendered":"http:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/?page_id=3453"},"modified":"2026-02-24T19:37:07","modified_gmt":"2026-02-25T02:37:07","slug":"main-street-clock","status":"publish","type":"page","link":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/attractions\/pioneer-village\/main-street-clock\/","title":{"rendered":"Main Street Clock"},"content":{"rendered":"\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\"><\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-base-color has-text-color has-background has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-bd32c439e381bd968f8df963848b9217 wp-block-paragraph\" style=\"background-color:#534435\">Built: 1858-1881<br \/>Manufactured By: E. Howard &amp; Company &#8211; Boston, Massachusetts<br \/>Original Location: 300 South &amp; Main Street, Salt Lake City, Utah<br \/>Current Location: Main Street, <a href=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/attractions\/pioneer-village\/\" data-type=\"page\" data-id=\"2487\">Pioneer Village<\/a><\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">At the south end of Main Street in Pioneer Village stands a large antique clock. Unlike other attractions in Pioneer Village, it lacks any accompanying informational signage, but its history shows it is authentic and one of many preserved treasures at Lagoon.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-full wp-image-5033\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"550\" height=\"764\" src=\"http:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2012\/03\/peterfreed19770727dn.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-5033\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2012\/03\/peterfreed19770727dn.jpg 550w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2012\/03\/peterfreed19770727dn-216x300.jpg 216w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 550px) 100vw, 550px\" \/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Peter Freed stands by the Main Street Clock after installation in 1977. Photo courtesy of Deseret News<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The bulk of Pioneer Village was acquired from the collection of Horace Sorenson, but Lagoon has also procured some artifacts of its own. One example is this old street clock relocated in 1977 from Main Street and 300 South in Salt Lake City. Throughout much of the 1800s, street clocks were manufactured in the Eastern states and were costly to ship, making these clocks a sign of prestige in the West. By the turn of the century, however, street clocks could be found up and down Salt Lake City&#8217;s Main Street. The last one from the 19th century still operating in Salt Lake is the Old Zions Bank Clock at Main Street and 100 South. In its early days, water diverted from nearby City Creek drove an underground water wheel that powered the clock.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter\"><a href=\"http:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2012\/03\/Pioneer-Village-Clock-Ute-Indian-Museum.jpg\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"248\" height=\"347\" src=\"http:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2012\/03\/Pioneer-Village-Clock-Ute-Indian-Museum.jpg\" alt=\"Main Street Clock\" class=\"wp-image-1698\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2012\/03\/Pioneer-Village-Clock-Ute-Indian-Museum.jpg 248w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2012\/03\/Pioneer-Village-Clock-Ute-Indian-Museum-214x300.jpg 214w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 248px) 100vw, 248px\" \/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Photo from a 1992 Lagoon brochure.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">From the nameplate on one side of the base of Lagoon&#8217;s clock, it looks like the clock was made by E. Howard &amp; Co. in Boston, Massachusetts. The company began in 1842 and is still in business today. It changed names many times, but it was known as E. Howard &amp; Co. from 1858 to 1881. It&#8217;s unknown exactly how old the clock is or how long it stood at its former location.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">When former park president, Peter Freed, was interviewed by <em>The Deseret News<\/em> in 1977, he said before it was brought to Lagoon, the old clock &#8220;didn&#8217;t work anymore. It was a wreck, just a shell.&#8221; The clock had to be removed by crane. Richard Freed, who had restored several items for Lagoon including the old Engine No. 999 and the band organ used on the Carousel, also worked on the restoration of the clock. One original clock face remained and was used as a pattern to etch three other faces in glass.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The original motor, operated by 100-pound lead weights, was removed and displayed in the tool collection. The restored clock now runs on electricity and &#8211; when it was first installed at Lagoon &#8211; the chimes would ring every 15 minutes. It has been repainted at least a couple of times since it arrived in 1977.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-full wp-image-1694\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"595\" height=\"446\" src=\"http:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2012\/03\/Main-Street-Clock.jpg\" alt=\"Main Street Clock\" class=\"wp-image-1694\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2012\/03\/Main-Street-Clock.jpg 595w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2012\/03\/Main-Street-Clock-300x224.jpg 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 595px) 100vw, 595px\" \/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Main Street Clock, 2007. Photo: B. Miskin<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"468\" height=\"32\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png\" alt=\"separator\" class=\"wp-image-3859\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png 468w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy-300x21.png 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 468px) 100vw, 468px\" \/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<h5 class=\"wp-block-heading\">MORE LAGOON HISTORY<\/h5>\n\n\n\n<div class=\"wp-block-columns are-vertically-aligned-center is-layout-flex wp-container-core-columns-is-layout-4805a82d wp-block-columns-is-layout-flex\">\n<div class=\"wp-block-column is-vertically-aligned-center is-layout-flow wp-block-column-is-layout-flow\">\n<div class=\"wp-block-group is-layout-flow wp-block-group-is-layout-flow\">\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-full\"><a href=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/freedola\/\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"400\" height=\"300\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/11\/freedolabutton-1.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-18242\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/11\/freedolabutton-1.jpg 400w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/11\/freedolabutton-1-300x225.jpg 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 400px) 100vw, 400px\" \/><\/a><\/figure>\n<\/div>\n<\/div>\n\n\n\n<div class=\"wp-block-column is-vertically-aligned-center is-layout-flow wp-block-column-is-layout-flow\">\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-full\"><a href=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/attractions\/pioneer-village\/\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"400\" height=\"300\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/pvbutton.jpg\" alt=\"Pioneer Village\" class=\"wp-image-19998\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/pvbutton.jpg 400w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/pvbutton-300x225.jpg 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 400px) 100vw, 400px\" \/><\/a><\/figure>\n<\/div>\n\n\n\n<div class=\"wp-block-column is-vertically-aligned-center is-layout-flow wp-block-column-is-layout-flow\">\n<div class=\"wp-block-group is-layout-flow wp-block-group-is-layout-flow\">\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-full\"><a href=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/attractions\/pioneer-village\/ute-indian-museum\/\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"400\" height=\"300\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/uteindianbutton.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-20021\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/uteindianbutton.jpg 400w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/uteindianbutton-300x225.jpg 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 400px) 100vw, 400px\" \/><\/a><\/figure>\n<\/div>\n<\/div>\n<\/div>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"468\" height=\"32\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png\" alt=\"separator\" class=\"wp-image-3859\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png 468w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy-300x21.png 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 468px) 100vw, 468px\" \/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<h6 class=\"wp-block-heading has-custom-grey-color has-text-color\">REFERENCES<\/h6>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-custom-grey-color has-text-color has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-bfa61b10dcd8fc213635716c8c23e4e4 wp-block-paragraph\"><span style=\"text-decoration: underline;\">Old chime clock makes a timely addition to Pioneer Village decor<\/span>. <em>Deseret News<\/em>, 27 Jul 1977.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-custom-grey-color has-text-color has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-48902d6546071a9740f7cddccfb730a4 wp-block-paragraph\">Markosian, Richard. <a href=\"http:\/\/www.utahstories.com\/2010\/08\/26\/what-lies-beneath\/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">What Lies Beneath Salt Lake City?<\/a>. <em>UtahStories.com<\/em>, 26 Aug 2010.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-custom-grey-color has-text-color has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-4c8e6eb52a6630591ec8ce3fd5697c44 wp-block-paragraph\"><a href=\"http:\/\/www.waymarking.com\/waymarks\/WM9MY5_The_Old_Clock_Last_19th_Century_Post_Clock_in_Salt_Lake_City\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">The Old Clock &#8211; Last 19th-Century Post Clock in Salt Lake City<\/a>. <em>Waymarking.com<\/em>, 6 Sep 2010.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-custom-grey-color has-text-color has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-e7f9c7560d4fee4cfc12e8f9d465365a wp-block-paragraph\"><a href=\"https:\/\/web.archive.org\/web\/20120312021709\/http:\/\/www.greatstreets.org\/StreetClocks\/StreetClocks.html\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">Street Clocks!<\/a>.<em> GreatStreets.org<\/em>, accessed 22 Mar 2012.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-custom-grey-color has-text-color has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-2187a395611ea7d63ec67b552a3c2bab wp-block-paragraph\"><a href=\"https:\/\/www.princeton.edu\/~timeteam\/history01.htm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">History of the E. Howard Clock Company Model<\/a>. <em>EPICS Time Team<\/em>, accessed 29 Mar 2020.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"468\" height=\"32\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png\" alt=\"separator\" class=\"wp-image-3859\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png 468w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy-300x21.png 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 468px) 100vw, 468px\" \/><\/figure>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>Built: 1858-1881Manufactured By: E. Howard &amp; Company &#8211; Boston, MassachusettsOriginal Location: 300 South &amp; Main Street, Salt Lake City, UtahCurrent Location: Main Street, Pioneer Village At the south end of Main Street in Pioneer Village stands a large antique clock. Unlike other attractions in Pioneer Village, it lacks any accompanying informational signage, but its history [&hellip;]<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":1,"featured_media":0,"parent":2487,"menu_order":330,"comment_status":"open","ping_status":"closed","template":"","meta":{"footnotes":""},"class_list":["post-3453","page","type-page","status-publish","hentry"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/3453","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/page"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/1"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=3453"}],"version-history":[{"count":7,"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/3453\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":19925,"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/3453\/revisions\/19925"}],"up":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/2487"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=3453"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}