{"id":3593,"date":"2014-07-29T21:05:12","date_gmt":"2014-07-30T03:05:12","guid":{"rendered":"http:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/?page_id=3593"},"modified":"2026-02-24T19:28:02","modified_gmt":"2026-02-25T02:28:02","slug":"bingham-cabin","status":"publish","type":"page","link":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/attractions\/pioneer-village\/bingham-cabin\/","title":{"rendered":"Bingham Cabin"},"content":{"rendered":"\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\"><\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-base-color has-text-color has-background has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-aef120b9ae4c9594868299852a267c12 wp-block-paragraph\" style=\"background-color:#534435\">Built: Spring 1851<br \/>Original Location: <a rel=\"noreferrer noopener\" href=\"https:\/\/www.google.com\/maps\/place\/327+West+2nd+Street,+Ogden,+UT+84404\/@41.2593173,-111.9868821,17z\/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x87530c243353a753:0x5f09608b7c68c077!8m2!3d41.2593173!4d-111.9846934\" target=\"_blank\">West 2nd Street, Ogden, Utah<\/a><br \/>Built By: Erastus Bingham, Sr.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-full wp-image-3596\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"590\" height=\"442\" src=\"http:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2014\/07\/bingham05cabin.jpg\" alt=\"Erastus Bingham in Fall 2005. Photo: B. Miskin\" class=\"wp-image-3596\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2014\/07\/bingham05cabin.jpg 590w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2014\/07\/bingham05cabin-300x224.jpg 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 590px) 100vw, 590px\" \/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Erastus Bingham Cabin in Fall 2005. Photo: B. Miskin<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<h4 class=\"wp-block-heading\">ERASTUS BINGHAM, SR.<\/h4>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">This cabin was built by Erastus Bingham when he arrived to the Five Points area of Ogden in Spring 1851.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Erastus Bingham, Sr. was born in 1798 in Concord, Vermont. At age 20, he married Lucinda Gates of Ackworth, New Hampshire. They began their life together on their farm in Concord. Around 1825 they relocated to Littleton, New Hampshire, but returned to the farm in Vermont after a couple of years or so.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<div class=\"wp-block-columns are-vertically-aligned-center is-layout-flex wp-container-core-columns-is-layout-4805a82d wp-block-columns-is-layout-flex\">\n<div class=\"wp-block-column is-vertically-aligned-center is-layout-flow wp-block-column-is-layout-flow\">\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter wp-image-4581 size-full\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"173\" height=\"217\" src=\"http:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2014\/07\/bingham.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-4581\"\/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Erastus Bingham, Sr.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n<\/div>\n\n\n\n<div class=\"wp-block-column is-vertically-aligned-center is-layout-flow wp-block-column-is-layout-flow\">\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter\"><img decoding=\"async\" src=\"https:\/\/familysearch.org\/dzpatron\/v1\/TH-301-39837-1091-83\/scale?width=800&amp;ctx=ArtCtxPublic&amp;angle=0\" alt=\"https:\/\/familysearch.org\/dzpatron\/v1\/TH-301-39837-1091-83\/scale?width=800&amp;ctx=ArtCtxPublic&amp;angle=0\"\/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Lucinda Gates Bingham<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n<\/div>\n<\/div>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Erastus was not a part of any religion until spring of 1833, at which time he read The Book Of Mormon. Later that year in November, Erastus, Lucinda and four of their children were baptized and became members of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">In 1836, the family traveled with the Saints as they moved westward starting in Kirtland, Ohio then on to Missouri. There, Erastus rented farmland and built a log house for his family just outside of Far West. After his first harvest the following year, members of the church were ordered to leave the state by Governor Lilburn Boggs. Erastus was chosen to be part of a committee along with Brigham Young, John Taylor, Heber C. Kimball and seven others to organize the evacuation from Missouri.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">After settling in Illinois for about five years he bought a 160-acre farm just outside Nauvoo until continued pressure from locals and mob violence forced church members to leave once again. His family left Nauvoo in May 1846 and Erastus was made captain of a group of 100. When volunteers left to fight in the Mexican-American War, Erastus took care of the families of the volunteers while he and his group continued traveling westward from Iowa to Nebraska and ultimately reaching the Salt Lake Valley in September 1847.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The following spring he was given a lot in the Holladay district of Salt Lake City to live on. In addition, Erastus was given a grazing permit for land at the mouth of a small canyon in the Oquirrh Mountains. Two of his sons, Thomas and Sanfordm, lived there and herded cattle. It was around 1848 when Thomas and Sanford found outcroppings of ore deposits on the property. According to a grandson of Erastus, Sr., Thomas and Sanford &#8220;were counseled by Brigham Young not to attempt to pursue mining as the lives of the people depended upon farming and stock raising.&#8221; The canyon was named Bingham Canyon and when others began mining there decades later, the Bingham Canyon Copper Mine became the largest man-made excavation in the world.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">In 1850, Erastus, Sr. was called by Brigham Young to begin settlements in the newly created Weber County. In April, he staked out a farm and built a house near the Weber River. A few months later in September, Brigham Young chose this location as the site for a new city named after Peter Skene Ogden, a trapper with the Hudson&#8217;s Bay Company who had spent time in the area. Erastus sold the land (which later became the location of the city and county offices) and relocated to a spot near Lorin Farr&#8217;s Fort &#8211; a large log fort near present-day 12th Street and Canyon Road. Here he built a new home and started another farm.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Erastus became a bishop in the church in January 1851 and in spring, moved his family again to a spot northwest of Farr&#8217;s Fort. Two years later, he began construction on a fort to protect his and other families from the threat of unfriendly Indians. The walls were twelve feet high and constructed of rocks and mud. By 1854 it was home to over 700 people. Upon visiting in 1855, Brigham Young instructed the people it was time to abandon the fort and build a city on the site he designated for Ogden five years earlier. Erastus purchased land at what is now 23rd Street and Madison in Ogden and built yet another home for his family. He continued farming his land near the fort. Erastus lived to the age of 84, passing away on 2 May 1882 in the cabin he built in 1851.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Of his wife, Lucinda, a family history states:<\/p>\n\n\n\n<blockquote class=\"wp-block-quote is-layout-flow wp-block-quote-is-layout-flow\">\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">&#8230;Lucinda Gates Bingham, exercised the highest degree of charity, and by deeds of kindness proved that she loved her neighbor as herself. Anyone coming to her in confidence or in need went away comforted. In the dark days of Missouri and Illinois persecutions many needed and sought her council, help, and encouragement. She and her daughters, while crossing the plains to Utah gladdened the hearts of the other weary travelers with songs as they gathered around the campfires, so necessary for the morale and to prepare them for a good night\u2019s rest. The Indians knew of the kindness of Mrs. Bingham and she and her family were safe from the violence of the occasional raids. New emigrants who arrived in Ogden in poor health or poor circumstances were sure of assistance if they came to her. She never turned anyone away who was hungry or weary.<\/p>\n<\/blockquote>\n\n\n\n<h4 class=\"wp-block-heading\">&#8220;THE OLD BINGHAM HOME&#8221;<\/h4>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The home he built at Bingham&#8217;s Fort remained in place until it was moved to a different spot on the same property in 1925. Different members of the Bingham Family lived in the cabin until around the turn of the 20th century. In the following decades, the home was occupied by members of the Stone Family. Ogden mayor Raymond Wright wanted the cabin to be preserved. Clyde and Macel Stone Montgomery were living in the cabin at the time, but by 1953, they had built a new home right next to the cabin. In the mid-1950s, the historic, century-old cabin was moved intact by truck to the Pioneer Village collection in Salt Lake City where it could be properly cared for.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-full wp-image-4574\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"600\" height=\"418\" src=\"http:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2014\/07\/cabin-move-c-1955.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-4574\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2014\/07\/cabin-move-c-1955.jpg 600w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2014\/07\/cabin-move-c-1955-300x209.jpg 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 600px) 100vw, 600px\" \/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Photo from Binghamsfort.org showing the Bingham Cabin on a truck for the move to Pioneer Village. Photo: David Montgomery<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">There, the Bingham Cabin found a new home standing between the Coalville Chapel and a smokehouse. When the buildings of Pioneer Village were transported to Lagoon in the mid-1970s, the overall layout of the buildings changed dramatically, but the Bingham Cabin was once again placed next to the Coalville Chapel.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-large\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"800\" height=\"600\" src=\"http:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/03\/bingham1975ca-SLCjanicestakerbrown.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-8372\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/03\/bingham1975ca-SLCjanicestakerbrown.jpg 800w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/03\/bingham1975ca-SLCjanicestakerbrown-300x225.jpg 300w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/03\/bingham1975ca-SLCjanicestakerbrown-768x576.jpg 768w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 800px) 100vw, 800px\" \/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">The Bingham Cabin in Pioneer Village, Salt Lake City in the mid-1970s, not long before moving to Lagoon. Photo: Janice Staker Brown<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">In 1951, the Daughters Of Utah Pioneers placed a monument to Bingham&#8217;s Fort at Five Points in Ogden. When the road was widened there about 50 years later, the curb was moved right up to the front of the monument, making it difficult to read. It was around that time that West 2nd Street was being rebuilt and housing developments were popping up in the area. With the efforts of long-time residents of the area, the memorial was moved to the actual site of Bingham&#8217;s Fort in 2004 and now stands at 325 West 2nd Street at the front of part of Erastus Bingham&#8217;s Farm. When the monument was dedicated in August 2005, other projects were being planned to bring more of the old fort&#8217;s history to the area. There were hopes of bringing the old Bingham Cabin back from Lagoon to its original spot, but this never came to fruition. Today, near the monument, there&#8217;s still a historic barn and a granary Erastus, Sr. built in 1875. A small, skeletal structure marks the original location of the old Bingham Cabin.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"468\" height=\"32\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png\" alt=\"separator\" class=\"wp-image-3859\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png 468w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy-300x21.png 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 468px) 100vw, 468px\" \/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<h5 class=\"wp-block-heading\">GALLERY<\/h5>\n\n\n<style type=\"text\/css\">\n#foogallery-gallery-12419 .fg-image { width: 800px; }<\/style>\n\t\t\t<div class=\"foogallery foogallery-container foogallery-image-viewer foogallery-link-none foogallery-lightbox-none fg-center fg-image-viewer fg-ready fg-dark fg-loading-default fg-caption-always fg-hover-instant\" id=\"foogallery-gallery-12419\" data-foogallery=\"{&quot;item&quot;:{&quot;showCaptionTitle&quot;:false,&quot;showCaptionDescription&quot;:true},&quot;lazy&quot;:true,&quot;src&quot;:&quot;src&quot;,&quot;srcset&quot;:&quot;srcset&quot;,&quot;template&quot;:{&quot;loop&quot;:true,&quot;autoplay&quot;:0}}\" style=\"--fg-title-line-clamp: 0; --fg-description-line-clamp: 0;\" >\n\t<div class=\"fiv-inner\">\n\t\t<div class=\"fiv-inner-container\">\n\t\t\t<div class=\"fg-item fg-type-image fg-loading\"><figure class=\"fg-item-inner\"><a data-caption-title=\"Lucinda &amp;amp; Erastus Bingham. Photo from FamilySearch.org\" data-caption-desc=\"Lucinda &amp;amp; Erastus Bingham. Photo from FamilySearch.org\" data-attachment-id=\"12422\" data-type=\"image\" class=\"fg-thumb\"><span class=\"fg-image-wrap\"><img src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/cache\/2021\/04\/bingham-erastus-lucinda\/2816512987.jpg\" title=\"Lucinda &amp; Erastus Bingham. Photo from FamilySearch.org\" width=\"800\" height=\"600\" class=\"skip-lazy fg-image\" decoding=\"async\" loading=\"lazy\"><\/span><span class=\"fg-image-overlay\"><\/span><\/a><figcaption class=\"fg-caption\"><div class=\"fg-caption-inner\"><div class=\"fg-caption-desc\">Lucinda &amp; Erastus Bingham. Photo from FamilySearch.org<\/div><\/div><\/figcaption><\/figure><div class=\"fg-loader\"><\/div><\/div><div class=\"fg-item fg-type-image fg-loading\"><figure class=\"fg-item-inner\"><a data-caption-title=\"Ethel Sorenson with the Bingham Cabin after its arrival at Pioneer Village in Salt Lake City. Photo: The Salt Lake Tribune\" data-caption-desc=\"Ethel Sorenson with the Bingham Cabin after its arrival at Pioneer Village in Salt Lake City. Photo: The Salt Lake Tribune\" data-attachment-id=\"12420\" data-type=\"image\" class=\"fg-thumb\"><span class=\"fg-image-wrap\"><img src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/cache\/2021\/04\/bingham1957SLTethelsorensonPV\/2558585466.jpg\" title=\"Ethel Sorenson with the Bingham Cabin after its arrival at Pioneer Village in Salt Lake City. Photo: The Salt Lake Tribune\" width=\"800\" height=\"600\" class=\"skip-lazy fg-image\" decoding=\"async\" loading=\"lazy\"><\/span><span class=\"fg-image-overlay\"><\/span><\/a><figcaption class=\"fg-caption\"><div class=\"fg-caption-inner\"><div class=\"fg-caption-desc\">Ethel Sorenson with the Bingham Cabin after its arrival at Pioneer Village in Salt Lake City. Photo: The Salt Lake Tribune<\/div><\/div><\/figcaption><\/figure><div class=\"fg-loader\"><\/div><\/div><div class=\"fg-item fg-type-image fg-loading\"><figure class=\"fg-item-inner\"><a data-caption-title=\"Bedroom display in the Bingham Cabin. Photo: B. Miskin\" data-caption-desc=\"Bedroom display in the Bingham Cabin. Photo: B. Miskin\" data-attachment-id=\"17748\" data-type=\"image\" class=\"fg-thumb\"><span class=\"fg-image-wrap\"><img src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/cache\/2021\/04\/binghamcabin2025bm1\/1831436255.jpg\" title=\"Bedroom display in the Bingham Cabin. Photo: B. Miskin\" width=\"800\" height=\"600\" class=\"skip-lazy fg-image\" decoding=\"async\" loading=\"lazy\"><\/span><span class=\"fg-image-overlay\"><\/span><\/a><figcaption class=\"fg-caption\"><div class=\"fg-caption-inner\"><div class=\"fg-caption-desc\">Bedroom display in the Bingham Cabin. Photo: B. Miskin<\/div><\/div><\/figcaption><\/figure><div class=\"fg-loader\"><\/div><\/div><div class=\"fg-item fg-type-image fg-loading\"><figure class=\"fg-item-inner\"><a data-caption-title=\"Information displayed inside the Bingham Cabin. Photo: B. Miskin\" data-caption-desc=\"Information displayed inside the Bingham Cabin. Photo: B. Miskin\" data-attachment-id=\"12421\" data-type=\"image\" class=\"fg-thumb\"><span class=\"fg-image-wrap\"><img src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/cache\/2021\/04\/bingham2014cabin\/1519919066.jpg\" title=\"Information displayed inside the Bingham Cabin. Photo: B. Miskin\" width=\"800\" height=\"600\" class=\"skip-lazy fg-image\" decoding=\"async\" loading=\"lazy\"><\/span><span class=\"fg-image-overlay\"><\/span><\/a><figcaption class=\"fg-caption\"><div class=\"fg-caption-inner\"><div class=\"fg-caption-desc\">Information displayed inside the Bingham Cabin. Photo: B. Miskin<\/div><\/div><\/figcaption><\/figure><div class=\"fg-loader\"><\/div><\/div><div class=\"fg-item fg-type-image fg-loading\"><figure class=\"fg-item-inner\"><a data-caption-title=\"Bingham Cabin interior, 2014. Photo: B. Miskin\" data-caption-desc=\"Bingham Cabin interior, 2014. Photo: B. Miskin\" data-attachment-id=\"16525\" data-type=\"image\" class=\"fg-thumb\"><span class=\"fg-image-wrap\"><img src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/cache\/2021\/04\/binghamcabin2014bma\/1060047291.jpg\" title=\"Bingham Cabin interior, 2014. Photo: B. Miskin\" width=\"800\" height=\"600\" class=\"skip-lazy fg-image\" decoding=\"async\" loading=\"lazy\"><\/span><span class=\"fg-image-overlay\"><\/span><\/a><figcaption class=\"fg-caption\"><div class=\"fg-caption-inner\"><div class=\"fg-caption-desc\">Bingham Cabin interior, 2014. Photo: B. Miskin<\/div><\/div><\/figcaption><\/figure><div class=\"fg-loader\"><\/div><\/div><div class=\"fg-item fg-type-image fg-loading\"><figure class=\"fg-item-inner\"><a data-caption-title=\"Bingham Cabin interior, 2014. Photo: B. Miskin\" data-caption-desc=\"Bingham Cabin interior, 2014. Photo: B. Miskin\" data-attachment-id=\"16527\" data-type=\"image\" class=\"fg-thumb\"><span class=\"fg-image-wrap\"><img src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/cache\/2021\/04\/binghamcabin2014bmc\/2478225137.jpg\" title=\"Bingham Cabin interior, 2014. Photo: B. Miskin\" width=\"800\" height=\"600\" class=\"skip-lazy fg-image\" decoding=\"async\" loading=\"lazy\"><\/span><span class=\"fg-image-overlay\"><\/span><\/a><figcaption class=\"fg-caption\"><div class=\"fg-caption-inner\"><div class=\"fg-caption-desc\">Bingham Cabin interior, 2014. Photo: B. Miskin<\/div><\/div><\/figcaption><\/figure><div class=\"fg-loader\"><\/div><\/div><div class=\"fg-item fg-type-image fg-loading\"><figure class=\"fg-item-inner\"><a data-caption-title=\"Kitchen display in the Bingham Cabin. Photo: B. Miskin\" data-caption-desc=\"Kitchen display in the Bingham Cabin. Photo: B. Miskin\" data-attachment-id=\"17749\" data-type=\"image\" class=\"fg-thumb\"><span class=\"fg-image-wrap\"><img src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/cache\/2021\/04\/binghamcabin2025bm2\/2034280199.jpg\" title=\"Kitchen display in the Bingham Cabin. Photo: B. Miskin\" width=\"800\" height=\"600\" class=\"skip-lazy fg-image\" decoding=\"async\" loading=\"lazy\"><\/span><span class=\"fg-image-overlay\"><\/span><\/a><figcaption class=\"fg-caption\"><div class=\"fg-caption-inner\"><div class=\"fg-caption-desc\">Kitchen display in the Bingham Cabin. Photo: B. Miskin<\/div><\/div><\/figcaption><\/figure><div class=\"fg-loader\"><\/div><\/div>\t\t<\/div>\n\t\t<div class=\"fiv-ctrls\">\n\t\t\t<button type=\"button\" class=\"fiv-prev\" title=\"Prev\"><span>Prev<\/span><\/button>\n\t\t\t<label class=\"fiv-count\"><span class=\"fiv-count-current\">1<\/span>of<span class=\"fiv-count-total\">7<\/span><\/label>\n\t\t\t<button type=\"button\" class=\"fiv-next\" title=\"Next\"><span>Next<\/span><\/button>\n\t\t<\/div>\n\t<\/div>\n<\/div>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"468\" height=\"32\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png\" alt=\"separator\" class=\"wp-image-3859\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png 468w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy-300x21.png 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 468px) 100vw, 468px\" \/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<h5 class=\"wp-block-heading\">MORE LAGOON HISTORY<\/h5>\n\n\n\n<div class=\"wp-block-columns are-vertically-aligned-center is-layout-flex wp-container-core-columns-is-layout-4805a82d wp-block-columns-is-layout-flex\">\n<div class=\"wp-block-column is-vertically-aligned-center is-layout-flow wp-block-column-is-layout-flow\">\n<div class=\"wp-block-group is-layout-flow wp-block-group-is-layout-flow\">\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-full\"><a href=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/attractions\/pioneer-village\/gingerbread-house\/\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"400\" height=\"300\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/gingerbreadhousebutton.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-20052\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/gingerbreadhousebutton.jpg 400w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/gingerbreadhousebutton-300x225.jpg 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 400px) 100vw, 400px\" \/><\/a><\/figure>\n<\/div>\n<\/div>\n\n\n\n<div class=\"wp-block-column is-vertically-aligned-center is-layout-flow wp-block-column-is-layout-flow\">\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-full\"><a href=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/attractions\/pioneer-village\/\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"400\" height=\"300\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/pvbutton.jpg\" alt=\"Pioneer Village\" class=\"wp-image-19998\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/pvbutton.jpg 400w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/pvbutton-300x225.jpg 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 400px) 100vw, 400px\" \/><\/a><\/figure>\n<\/div>\n\n\n\n<div class=\"wp-block-column is-vertically-aligned-center is-layout-flow wp-block-column-is-layout-flow\">\n<div class=\"wp-block-group is-layout-flow wp-block-group-is-layout-flow\">\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-full\"><a href=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/attractions\/pioneer-village\/rockport-schoolhouse\/\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"400\" height=\"300\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/schoolhousebutton.jpg\" alt=\"Rockport Schoolhouse\" class=\"wp-image-20054\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/schoolhousebutton.jpg 400w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/schoolhousebutton-300x225.jpg 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 400px) 100vw, 400px\" \/><\/a><\/figure>\n<\/div>\n<\/div>\n<\/div>\n\n\n\n<h5 class=\"wp-block-heading\">OTHER LINKS<\/h5>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\"><a href=\"https:\/\/binghamsfort.org\/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">BinghamsFort.org<\/a> &#8211; A wealth of information and images on Bingham&#8217;s Fort, its construction and many of the families who lived there.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"468\" height=\"32\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png\" alt=\"separator\" class=\"wp-image-3859\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png 468w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy-300x21.png 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 468px) 100vw, 468px\" \/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<h5 class=\"wp-block-heading\">NOTES<\/h5>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The author is a direct descendant of Erastus Bingham, Sr. through his son Erastus, Jr.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"468\" height=\"32\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png\" alt=\"separator\" class=\"wp-image-3859\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png 468w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy-300x21.png 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 468px) 100vw, 468px\" \/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<h6 class=\"wp-block-heading has-custom-grey-color has-text-color\">REFERENCES<\/h6>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-custom-grey-color has-text-color has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-dbe55ad7504f4f3b407a74c860f247e7 wp-block-paragraph\">Trentelman, Charles F. <span style=\"text-decoration: underline;\">Pioneer Monument to be dedicated<\/span>. <em>Standard-Examiner<\/em>, 6 Aug 2005.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-custom-grey-color has-text-color has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-768f2aac679ac9f871c60ebf11a44932 wp-block-paragraph\"><a href=\"https:\/\/familysearch.org\/photos\/stories\/199194?returnLabel=Erastus%20Bingham%20Sr%20%28KWJ4-KJ3%29&amp;returnUrl=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Ftree%2F%23view%3Dancestor%26person%3DKWJ4-KJ3%26section%3Dmemories\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">Erastus Bingham the Patriarch<\/a>. <em>FamilySearch.org<\/em>, accessed 24 Jul 2016.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-custom-grey-color has-text-color has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-f7fe32e4ea8e26857743ab0f78b26cb7 wp-block-paragraph\">Bingham, Erastus Perry. <a href=\"https:\/\/familysearch.org\/photos\/artifacts\/7327101?returnLabel=Erastus%20Perry%20Bingham%20(KWC8-CHN)&amp;returnUrl=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Ftree%2F%23view%3Dancestor%26person%3DKWC8-CHN%26section%3Dmemories\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">Autobiography of Erastus Perry Bingham<\/a>. <em>FamilySearch.org<\/em>, accessed 24 Jul 2016.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-custom-grey-color has-text-color has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-19be9600d525c5ad5f6868f168b26988 wp-block-paragraph\"><a href=\"https:\/\/web.archive.org\/web\/20220624223035\/https:\/\/binghamsfort.org\/2009\/05\/06\/binghams-fort-monument-located-at-approximately-327-west-2nd-street\/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">Bingham&#8217;s Fort Monument, 327 West 2nd Street, Ogden, Utah<\/a>. <em>BinghamsFort.org<\/em>, 6 May 2009.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"468\" height=\"32\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png\" alt=\"separator\" class=\"wp-image-3859\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png 468w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy-300x21.png 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 468px) 100vw, 468px\" \/><\/figure>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>Built: Spring 1851Original Location: West 2nd Street, Ogden, UtahBuilt By: Erastus Bingham, Sr. ERASTUS BINGHAM, SR. This cabin was built by Erastus Bingham when he arrived to the Five Points area of Ogden in Spring 1851. Erastus Bingham, Sr. was born in 1798 in Concord, Vermont. At age 20, he married Lucinda Gates of Ackworth, [&hellip;]<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":1,"featured_media":0,"parent":2487,"menu_order":80,"comment_status":"open","ping_status":"closed","template":"","meta":{"footnotes":""},"class_list":["post-3593","page","type-page","status-publish","hentry"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/3593","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/page"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/1"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=3593"}],"version-history":[{"count":11,"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/3593\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":19914,"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/3593\/revisions\/19914"}],"up":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/2487"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=3593"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}