{"id":5953,"date":"2020-04-04T13:11:42","date_gmt":"2020-04-04T19:11:42","guid":{"rendered":"http:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/?page_id=5953"},"modified":"2026-02-24T19:43:43","modified_gmt":"2026-02-25T02:43:43","slug":"alma-warr-general-store","status":"publish","type":"page","link":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/attractions\/pioneer-village\/alma-warr-general-store\/","title":{"rendered":"Alma Warr General Store"},"content":{"rendered":"\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\"><\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-large\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"800\" height=\"540\" src=\"http:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/02\/generalstore1976brochure.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-8013\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/02\/generalstore1976brochure.jpg 800w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/02\/generalstore1976brochure-300x203.jpg 300w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/02\/generalstore1976brochure-768x518.jpg 768w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 800px) 100vw, 800px\" \/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Illustration from a 1976 Lagoon brochure.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-base-color has-text-color has-background has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-8d4bd4880b9df89332391f7920811b61 wp-block-paragraph\" style=\"background-color:#534435\">Original Operation: 1892-1940<br \/>Original Location: <a href=\"https:\/\/goo.gl\/maps\/ZkF76rk7S2asuSUT7\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">200 South &amp; Main Street, Kamas, Utah<\/a><\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Alma Warr was born in 1855 in Somerset, England and came to America soon after becoming a teenager. He ended up in Rhoades Valley, Utah (later known as Kamas) and worked as a clerk in the Rhoades Valley Co-Op beginning in 1869.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-medium\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"201\" height=\"300\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/01\/generalstore-AlmaWarr-familysearch-201x300.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-7579\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/01\/generalstore-AlmaWarr-familysearch-201x300.jpg 201w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/01\/generalstore-AlmaWarr-familysearch.jpg 500w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 201px) 100vw, 201px\" \/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Alma Warr. Photo: FamilySearch.org<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Before leaving England, the &#8220;girl of his dreams&#8221; told him she&#8217;d wait for him to come back for her. When he became a young man and was ready to marry, he traveled back to England with a little wooden church he had carved for her. When he arrived, he discovered she had passed away. He returned to Kamas with a broken heart and never married anyone.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Years later, in 1892, he opened his own store on 200 South &amp; Main Street in Kamas and it remained open until after he died in 1940.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<blockquote class=\"wp-block-quote is-layout-flow wp-block-quote-is-layout-flow\">\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">&#8220;It was then locked up and no one entered it for over twenty years. When Pioneer Village acquired the store it still had coal in the coal stove; checkers were on the checker board, and an open ledger book lay on the counter top.&#8221;<\/p>\n<cite>Pioneer Village guidebook, 1980s<\/cite><\/blockquote>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The building that housed the store in Kamas was moved to the other corner of the same block where it now serves as a private residence at 100 East and 300 South. It was nominated for the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 by Davis County boy scout, Glen Smith.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">When the contents of the store were moved to Main Museum Building at Pioneer Village in Salt Lake City, efforts were made to display everything just as it was found. In the mid-1970s when the collection moved to Lagoon, the artifacts from Alma Warr&#8217;s store were placed in their own building near the entrance to the village, on Main Street. It also doubled as a gift shop with souvenirs and rock candy.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-full\"><a href=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2025\/11\/shops1997generalstore-armindosouza1.jpg\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1000\" height=\"750\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2025\/11\/shops1997generalstore-armindosouza1.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-19257\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2025\/11\/shops1997generalstore-armindosouza1.jpg 1000w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2025\/11\/shops1997generalstore-armindosouza1-300x225.jpg 300w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2025\/11\/shops1997generalstore-armindosouza1-768x576.jpg 768w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 1000px) 100vw, 1000px\" \/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">View inside the General Store in May 1997, from a <a href=\"https:\/\/youtu.be\/_JN3lbKqots?si=ghCUzlYeg1WRVPLF&amp;t=455\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">video by Armindo Souza<\/a>.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Many buildings in Pioneer Village are actual pioneer structures relocated from around the region, but not all of them. The General Store building was built by Lagoon as a place to show off the artifacts from Alma Warr&#8217;s store. So when the building was converted to an Arby&#8217;s restaurant in 1998, they were only altering their own building that was just over a couple decades old. The historical items from the General Store would&#8217;ve been moved into storage before the transition. Pioneer Village functions mainly as a museum and like most museums, much of its collection remains in storage and is occasionally rotated out with other displays. There&#8217;s a similar collection just down Main Street in the Rockport Co-Op and it&#8217;s possible that some items from Warr&#8217;s store have shown up there.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-large\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"800\" height=\"600\" src=\"http:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/02\/generalstore2007.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-8023\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/02\/generalstore2007.jpg 800w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/02\/generalstore2007-300x225.jpg 300w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2020\/02\/generalstore2007-768x576.jpg 768w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 800px) 100vw, 800px\" \/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">The former General Store as an Arby&#8217;s restaurant in 2007. Photo: B. Miskin<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The Arby&#8217;s dining area is currently decorated with photos and food-related antiques such as silverware and dishes. An outdoor dining area was also added behind the restaurant after it opened.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"468\" height=\"32\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-3859\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png 468w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy-300x21.png 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 468px) 100vw, 468px\" \/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<h5 class=\"wp-block-heading\">MORE LAGOON HISTORY<\/h5>\n\n\n\n<div class=\"wp-block-columns are-vertically-aligned-center is-layout-flex wp-container-core-columns-is-layout-4805a82d wp-block-columns-is-layout-flex\">\n<div class=\"wp-block-column is-vertically-aligned-center is-layout-flow wp-block-column-is-layout-flow\">\n<div class=\"wp-block-group is-layout-flow wp-block-group-is-layout-flow\">\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-full\"><a href=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/attractions\/pioneer-village\/charles-t-baxter-shoe-repair-shop\/\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"400\" height=\"300\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/cobblershopbutton.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-19908\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/cobblershopbutton.jpg 400w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/cobblershopbutton-300x225.jpg 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 400px) 100vw, 400px\" \/><\/a><\/figure>\n<\/div>\n<\/div>\n\n\n\n<div class=\"wp-block-column is-vertically-aligned-center is-layout-flow wp-block-column-is-layout-flow\">\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-full\"><a href=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/attractions\/pioneer-village\/\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"400\" height=\"300\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/pvbutton.jpg\" alt=\"Pioneer Village\" class=\"wp-image-19998\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/pvbutton.jpg 400w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/pvbutton-300x225.jpg 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 400px) 100vw, 400px\" \/><\/a><\/figure>\n<\/div>\n\n\n\n<div class=\"wp-block-column is-vertically-aligned-center is-layout-flow wp-block-column-is-layout-flow\">\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter size-full\"><a href=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/attractions\/pioneer-village\/town-hall\/\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"400\" height=\"300\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/townhallbutton.jpg\" alt=\"Town Hall\" class=\"wp-image-20064\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/townhallbutton.jpg 400w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/townhallbutton-300x225.jpg 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 400px) 100vw, 400px\" \/><\/a><\/figure>\n<\/div>\n<\/div>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"468\" height=\"32\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-3859\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png 468w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy-300x21.png 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 468px) 100vw, 468px\" \/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<h6 class=\"wp-block-heading has-custom-grey-color has-text-color\">REFERENCES<\/h6>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-custom-grey-color has-text-color has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-c86c5109ce68d4dc84289597a6c03142 wp-block-paragraph\"><span style=\"text-decoration: underline;\">Glen Jay Smith &#8211; Eagle<\/span>. <em>Davis County Clipper<\/em>, 28 May 1976.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-custom-grey-color has-text-color has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-197bb0042315f30aec1e1c021746d19d wp-block-paragraph\">Rhoades, Gale R. &amp; Kerry Ross Boren. <a href=\"http:\/\/www.angelfire.com\/ut2\/footprints\/eagle10.htm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">Footprints in the Wilderness: A History of the Lost Rhoades Mines<\/a>. Dream Garden Press, Salt Lake City. 1980.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-custom-grey-color has-text-color has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-cf5af00b6465a97ba8a1daec0b7a138a wp-block-paragraph\">Lagoon And Pioneer Village Press Kit, 1988.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-custom-grey-color has-text-color has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-3dc61268561f9d35fabbb8db56c153a4 wp-block-paragraph\">Russell, Bessie B. <a href=\"https:\/\/www.deseret.com\/1993\/12\/25\/19083367\/yule-baby-inspires-a-precious-gift-of-love\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">Yule Baby Inspires a Precious Gift of Love<\/a>. <em>Deseret News<\/em>, 25 Dec 1993.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-custom-grey-color has-text-color has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-d0d2a4c5e4569f993ff0922aada520f5 wp-block-paragraph\"><a href=\"https:\/\/www.familysearch.org\/tree\/person\/details\/KHHH-75P\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">Alma Warr (1855-1940)<\/a>. <em>FamilySearch.org<\/em>, accessed 28 Dec 2019.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-custom-grey-color has-text-color has-link-color has-small-font-size wp-elements-b61a1cd446640f5f366243ebb4295e89 wp-block-paragraph\"><a href=\"https:\/\/www.geocaching.com\/geocache\/GC6H139_utah-geotour-summit-tour-de-kamas?guid=b5ae4572-04f9-40e7-9a88-cc959ef75bdd\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">Tour de Kamas<\/a>. <em>Geocaching.com<\/em>, accessed 9 Feb 2020.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"468\" height=\"32\" src=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-3859\" srcset=\"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy.png 468w, https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/02\/sectionseparator-copy-300x21.png 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 468px) 100vw, 468px\" \/><\/figure>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>Original Operation: 1892-1940Original Location: 200 South &amp; Main Street, Kamas, Utah Alma Warr was born in 1855 in Somerset, England and came to America soon after becoming a teenager. He ended up in Rhoades Valley, Utah (later known as Kamas) and worked as a clerk in the Rhoades Valley Co-Op beginning in 1869. Before leaving [&hellip;]<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":1,"featured_media":0,"parent":2487,"menu_order":530,"comment_status":"closed","ping_status":"closed","template":"","meta":{"footnotes":""},"class_list":["post-5953","page","type-page","status-publish","hentry"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/5953","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/page"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/1"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=5953"}],"version-history":[{"count":10,"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/5953\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":19932,"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/5953\/revisions\/19932"}],"up":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/2487"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/lagoonhistory.com\/project\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=5953"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}