Manufactured By: Amusement Display Associates, Inc.
Terroride is the continuation of a long tradition of haunted dark rides and walk-throughs at Lagoon. Early in the 20th century, The Ghost Train opened just south of the Roller Coaster station. A large fire broke out in November 1953 which burned down the ride and most of the western half of the park’s Midway. After the flames were extinguished, it was speculated that the starting point of the fire was either the chain house of the Roller Coaster or the back room of The Ghost Train.
The damaged rides and buildings were quickly replaced in time for the 1954 season including a new haunted attraction north of the Roller Coaster called the Spook House. After a little more than a decade, Terroride replaced the Spook House.
The new scenes, ride system and exterior were designed and manufactured by Bill Tracy and his company Amusement Display Associates, Inc. who also designed Dracula’s Castle seven years later in 1974.
The Deseret News reported on the new ride with the following description:
“The ride looks like an old haunted castle into which the patron rides in an old car through the hall of horrors, the torture chamber of corpses, the quicksand corner, and more than 20 other spectacular and frightening scenes.”
Many changes have been made to the ride since it opened in the late ’60s. The audio is no longer played through the speakers on each individual car and some scenes have been replaced completely. Several new updates were made in 2007 including the animatronic based on Captain Barbosa from the film Pirates Of The Caribbean: Curse Of The Black Pearl. For many years, the mechanical gorilla from the second floor of the Haunted Shack was used in Terroride as a King Kong figure with a city skyline painted on the wall behind it. The gorilla was removed some time after the regular 2007 season. For a few years until 2011, it appeared in Psycho Dave’s Junkyard, a Frightmares spook alley that was in the space now occupied by Air Race. It reappeared again in 2014 as part of the Pioneer Village Scare Zone. The fur is a little faded and his jaw is broken, but he still operates. Another Terroride feature was also brought back for the Pioneer Village Scare Zone – a large rat on wheels that used to roll towards passing riders at the beginning of the ride. Both figures were added to Dracula’s Castle in 2017.
The strange mural which was on the wall in the loading area was replaced in 2010 with trees painted on the wall, tree branches sticking up in front of the wall and an animated vulture which tells jokes to guests in the queue. The mural is now displayed in the park’s Annex Building to preserve it from the elements.
Terroride has been closed for 2017 so far, but is planned to open soon after a major update.
Dark rides have been a fundamental part of the amusement park experience for several decades. Many parks have lost their classic dark rides over the years and Lagoon is lucky to have two of them still in operation.
Enter the Terroride Gallery
Lagoon Opens This Weekend. Deseret News, 23 March 1967.
Bahur, Wayne R. & Brandon M. Seidl. The Bill Tracy Project, BillTracyProject.com. Accessed 13 Oct 2011.
Whirlwind update and more. Email message to author, 20 Oct 2005.